This easy Vulcanic Shrimp Diablo makes a healthy, quick, and delicious dinner! Packed with red pepper flakes, jalapenos, garlic, onions, green bell peppers and simmered in a rustic tomato sauce. It is going to become your favorite seafood dish!
What does “diablo” mean? In simple terms, it’s a combination of spicy or zesty ingredients that take a dish to new flavor heights. Have one devilish taste of this easy Shrimp Diablo recipe and you’ll be a believer.
Vulcanic Shrimp Diablo
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper ¼-inch dice
- ¼ cup tequila or dry white wine
- ½ cup unsalted vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup diced yellow onion ¼-inch dice
- 14 ounce can of whole tomatoes cut into ½-inch dice reserve juice
- Combine shrimp with ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add garlic, jalapeno, yellow onion, oregano, and thyme. Stir and cook until onions are tender and garlic is fragrant but not browned, 2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the pan in one layer, turn heat up to medium. Cook for 2 minutes, not moving the shrimp.
- Flip shrimp over and cook until just cooked through 1 minute. Transfer to a clean bowl.
- Add bell peppers and saute for 1 minute
- Turn heat up to medium-high, add in tequila, vegetable stock, diced tomatoes, tomato juice, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer and allow tomato mixture to reduce until slightly thickened and most of the liquid has evaporated about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Turn heat down to low and add in the cooked shrimp. Stir and cook until shrimp is warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Garnish shrimp diablo with parsley.