Spring rolls are usually an easy go-to appetizer, but they can be hard to make at home. That’s why we’ve turned them into a delicious bowl that you can pack full with your favorite vegetables. It is mildly reminiscent of pho, but it has more vegetables.
Spring Roll Bowls with basil, mint, rice noodles, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, whatever other protein or veggies you have! Easily made meatless.
Spring Roll Bowls With Sweet Garlic Lime Sauce
For the sweet garlic lime sauce:
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup agave or brown sugar
For the bowls:
- Rice Noodles
- Serrano Peppers
- Chopped Peanuts
- Basil, Mint, and Cilantro (plz use all three – they’re so good together!)
- Protein –> like shrimp, tofu, chicken (optional)
- Veggies –> like carrots, bell peppers, and cucumbers
- SAUCE PREP: Pulse the sauce ingredients together in a blender or food processor.
- NOODLE PREP: Cook your rice noodles by soaking them in cold water for about 30 minutes. When they’re softened, transfer to a pot of boiling water for just a minute or two before quickly draining again. This is my preferred method because it prevents them from getting overly sticky.
- VEG PREP: Mince the herbs, slice the serranos, and peel or julienne cut the vegetables.
- BOWL PREP: Toss the noodles (hot or cold! your choice, frienwith the sweet garlic lime sauce and all the other ingredients.
- If going sugar free is important to you, please note that fish sauce contains trace amounts of sugar. Also substitute distilled white vinegar in place of rice vinegar for completely sugar free.
- 7 OUNCES OF RICE NOODLES WAS JUST ABOUT PERFECT FOR THIS AMOUNT OF SAUCE! 😀 (that’s half a box)
- Fish sauce smells bad. Don’t sniff it, and/or don’t be deterred when you inevitably sniff it on accident. It is SO delicious with all those other flavors and there is really no good substitute unless you make your own vegan-type-fish-sauce.
- Nutrition facts are for 4 servings including sauce and 7 ounces rice noodles. I didn’t add any other ingredients because it will depend on what you make it with.