Get ready to have your socks knocked right off your feet with this easy creamy Broccoli Pasta. It’s the perfect recipe for a quick weeknight dinner for the family and also makes for a seriously impressive date night in.
Add this to your arsenal of broccoli recipes – this one is a keeper!
Super Easy Broccoli Pasta
- 2 broccoli heads (BIG!)
- 350g / 12 oz dried short pasta (I used small shells)
- 1 cup (100g) shredded cheese (or more!)
Pasta Sauce (Notes For Subs):
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp+ red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ⅓ cup (30g) parmesan, finely grated
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (or more!)
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs (or fresh!)
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp pepper
- More parmesan
- Boil a large pot of water with 2 tsp salt, add pasta.
While Pasta Is Cooking:
- Chop broccoli into small florets.
- Place Sauce ingredients in a jar with lid.
- Add broccoli into water 1 - 2 minutes before pasta is cooked.
- SCOOP OUT 1 cup pasta cooking water.
- Add 1/2 cup pasta water to Pasta Sauce jar, shake.
- Drain pasta and broccoli, put back into same pot on turned off stove.
- Pour over Sauce, add cheese.
- Stir vigorously, adding more pasta water if required. Add more salt and pepper if required.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parmesan.
- Pasta - any short pasta is fine here, macaroni/elbow, twirls, penne, ziti, orecchiette etc.
- Broccoli - this dish can take loads of broccoli, and still worth making even if you're a bit short (or scale recipe down - click on servings and slide).
- Cheese - any melting cheese fine here, preferably flavoured like cheddar, Monterey Jack, tasty, gruyere, Swiss. Mozzarella also fine but you'll probably need more salt.
- Parmesan - store bought pre grated fine in this recipe. OK if you don't have (as long as you have shredded cheese!)
- Lemon - not intended to be a full on lemon pasta, but the subtle tang and hint of lemon is terrific. Feel free to jack up the lemon flavour. Subs: 1.5 tbsp more oil or a mild vinegar like white wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, even rice wine.
- Garlic - could stir through green onions instead, or add 1/2 tsp garlic or onion powder into Sauce. OR finely grate any onion and add 2 tbsp it into dressing (juices and all).
- Herbs - mixed herbs includes a bit of rosemary, thyme, parsley, oregano, dried basil. Feel free to use any you want, skip it, OR use fresh herbs
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil right at the end would be amazing
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup chives, parsley
- 2 tbsp oregano
- Red pepper flakes - for touch of heat, totally optional
- Sugar - totally optional (takes edge off the sour)