This Dulce De Leche Chocolate Cake has the ultimate combination of chocolate and caramel! The rich chocolate cake is layered with silky caramel buttercream and drizzled dulce de leche! This delicious cake has amped up flavor and is pure heaven in every slice!
At that point, using Dulce de Leche as a filling was just an obvious addition. Thick, creamy caramel sauce? Yes, please! I used store bought dulce de leche, but you can certainly make your own too.
Easy Dulce De Leche Chocolate Cake
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder sifted
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup hot water
- ¾ cup buttermilk room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
Dulce de Leche Buttercream:
- ¼ cup Dulce de Leche storebought or homemade
- 1 cup dark brown sugar lightly packed
- 1½ cups unsalted butter cubed, room temperature
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 oz heavy whipping cream
- 2 oz dark chocolate finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F, grease three 6" round baking pans and dust with cocoa powder. Line bottoms with parchment.
- Place all dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl whisk all wet ingredients (pour water in slowly as not to cook the eggs if very hot).
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix on medium for 2-3 mins. Batter will be very thin.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans. I used a kitchen scale to ensure the batter is evenly distributed.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out mostly clean. A total of 30-35mins.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pans then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Dulce de Leche Buttercream:
- Place egg whites and dark brown sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk until combined.*
- Place bowl over a hot water bath on the stove and whisk constantly until the mixture is hot and no longer grainy to the touch (approx. 3mins).
- Place bowl on your stand mixer and whisk on med-high until the meringue is stiff and cooled (the bowl is no longer warm to the touch (approx. 5-10mins)).
- Switch to paddle attachment. Slowly add cubed butter and mix until smooth.**
- Add dulce de leche and whip until smooth.
- Place chopped chocolate and cream into a microwave safe bowl. Stir to combine. Microwave for 20 seconds, stir. Microwave in 10 second intervals, stirring in between, until ganache is smooth and silky. Set aside to cool completely and thicken slightly before using on cake.
- Place one layer of cake on a cake stand or serving dish. Top with about 2/3 cup buttercream.
- Repeat with remaining layers. Frost and smooth the outside with a thin crumb coat. Chill for 20mins.
- Using a small spoon, place dollops of ganache around the top edges of the cooled cake, allowing some to drip down. Fill in the top of the cake with more ganache and spread evenly with an offset spatula.***
- Top with decorative dollops of frosting. Drizzle slices with dulce de leche if desired.
** The buttercream may look like it's curdled at some point. Keep mixing until it is completely smooth.
*** You may have some ganache left over.