This Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes tastes just like the real thing! It’s light and fluffy, but oh so decadent—perfect for the chocolate cupcakes.
A good cupcake is nothing without an equally delicious frosting. In my latest cupcake endeavor I created a cookie dough frosting to pair with my go-to chocolate cake recipe, resulting in a delectable treat to say the least. I must say, this frosting takes the cake (too punny? No such thing.) I took my buttercream frosting and made a few alterations to give it that cookie dough flavor. Adding light brown sugar created that slightly grainy texture that cookie dough has.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- 24 cupcake liners
- 1 vanilla cake mix plus ingredients to make it
- 1 c. buttermilk
For the Cookie Dough Frosting:
- 1 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2½ c. powdered sugar
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ½ c. flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Cookie Dough Center:
- ½ c. butter, softened
- ¼ c. sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1½ c. flour
- ½ c. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 24 mini chocolate chip cookies
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, adding buttermilk instead of the water called for.
- Place cupcake liners in muffin tins and fill with batter 2/3 full. Bake according to directions on the box; remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare the cookie dough by creaming butter and sugar together; add vanilla, milk, and salt. Then add flour. Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Using the large side of a frosting tip or something similar, make a hole in each cupcake by pressing it right into the center.
- Use a spoon to get enough cookie dough that it can be rolled into a little cylinder to fit into the hole in the cupcake. Press the dough right into the cupcake.
- Use a toothpick to push the cake out of the frosting tip. Tear the top off and press it right on top of the cookie dough to cover it.
- Prepare the frosting by creaming together butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and 2 Tbsp milk. Slowly add powdered sugar 1/2 c. at a time to avoid making a huge mess. Then add salt and flour.
- Pipe frosting on to each cupcake using a 1M star tip. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and top with a mini cookie.