Butternut Squash Linguine Pasta is filled with whole wheat pasta, sweet Italian turkey sausage, kale, butternut squash and brought together with creamy gruyere cheese!
An easy and delicious dinner that’s perfect for fall!
Who would have thought that butternut squash puree would make the most luxuriously creamy pasta sauce? This pasta is my favorite way to eat butternut squash!
Butternut Squash Linguine Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot finely diced
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- Chicken broth to replace pasta cooking water
- 4 cups butternut squash diced
- 6 cups kale torn
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For serving shaved gruyere or parmesan
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 lb Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage casing removed
- 8 ounces whole wheat linguine pasta or gluten free pasta of choice
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, add the sausage, shallot and garlic. Cook until the sausage is cooked through, breaking up as it cooks, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer the sausage mixture to a large plate. Return pan to stove top. Do not wipe clean.
- Meanwhile, cook the linguine according to the package instructions, using chicken broth instead of the water. When al dente, drain but reserve one cup of the pasta water.
- After the sausage is cooked, add the butternut squash to the empty skillet. Cook over medium heat until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. (This may vary depending on squash size.)
- In the last few minutes of cooking, add the kale and sausage. Stir to combine well.
- Add the pasta, reserved chicken broth, vanilla extract and gruyere cheese. Stir well until heated through and cheese melts and the liquid becomes thicker, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with more gruyere or shaved parmesan.